Do you live on Twitter? Do you enjoy writing and believe that storytelling can inspire people to create change? Do you spend your free time thinking about fonts, color theory and snapping the most evocative pictures and video with your DSLR camera? Then this is the job for you.
Venture Philanthropy Partners (VPP) is a philanthropic investment organization that builds strong nonprofits and strategic networks that measurably improve the lives of children and youth throughout Greater Washington. Since its founding, VPP has raised and deployed $110 million to help vulnerable young people gain access to quality education, health care, career training and a better chance at a brighter future.
The Communications Associate is an integral member of the Venture Philanthropy Partners Communications team. The Communications Associate works closely with the Communications Director on a wide range of activities to convey a clear and compelling message for the organization overall and support programmatic and development goals. This work includes creating content for strategic communications and branding materials, managing digital communications (including the website, emails, and social media channels), writing blog posts, reports and collateral materials and assisting in event planning and implementation. The Communications Associate will also assist on a number of design-related projects, such as creating visual assets for infographics, illustrations on marketing materials and presentation materials.
The role requires the Communications Associate to use a “project management” approach to: 1) prioritize multiple demands; 2) coordinate with staff across departments; 3) stay on task to advance the work; 4) ensure timely follow-up; and 5) “close” the loop on all critical assignments. The Associate will also provide critical administrative and relationship management support.
This position is a good fit for an original thinker who is a strong writer, skilled at forming creative and strategic concepts and bringing them to life in a visual way. VPP is looking for a self-starter who thrives on tackling a wide range of creative projects and is reliable and detail-oriented. Skills and experience in design (Adobe, Canva, etc.) and/or photography are a significant plus.
Primary responsibilities include:
Write and edit communications such as:
- Blog posts and VPPNews (quarterly newsletter)
- Press releases and media advisories
- Talking Points
- Case studies, annual reports and other reports
- Collateral and marketing materials
- Website content
- Manage VPP’s website (WordPress) and social networks. This includes:
- Create and post new content for Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and our VPP website on a regular basis to maintain a high profile digital presence for VPP;
- Manage an editorial calendar for blogs and social media;
- Manage day-to-day content updates for VPP website;
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues as they arise. Activate or trouble-shoot web site plug-ins, add-ons, widgets and other functions as necessary;
- Implement schedules, track and meet deadlines;
- Develop new campaign landing pages and websites as needed; and
- Research and implement other digital tools to use to engage our target audiences.
- Develop targeted and effective email marketing campaigns. This includes:
- Create and distribute emails (through Mail Chimp) and track and analyze their effectiveness;
- Develop creative strategies to grow our list of member emails;
- Manage data within Sales Force, including imports and exports; and
- Work closely with Communications Director and Development Team to produce and send investor emails.
- Regularly providing useful analytics on website traffic and email/social media performance. This includes:
- Monitor web, email and social media metrics and prepare monthly metrics updates;
- Provide recommendations based on analytics and implement changes to our online strategy to improve our traffic and engagement;
- Monitor VPP’s web/online communications trends; and
- Work with vendors as needed.
- Copy edit communications and materials;
- Maintain relationships and seek opportunities to collaborate with communicators and leaders among our nonprofit partners;
- Maintain and update electronic mailing lists;
- Help maintain updated media contact lists;
- Manage all electronic files related to collaterals (photos, videos, publications, etc.);
- Help prepare collateral and presentation materials for meetings; and
- Assist with events.
If the right candidate has design experience, responsibilities may also include:
- Design and production of print and web collateral including fliers, posters, event invitations, banners, web graphics, newsletters, etc.;
- Help produce short videos and graphics to inspire donors and prospects;
- Photograph events; and
- Working with vendors as needed.
Highly Desired Qualifications
- 2-3 years minimum of experience in public relations, media relations, communications, and/or digital communications.
- A four-year college degree is preferred in production, public relations, communication studies or related field.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office (Word, PPT, Outlook).
- Strong writing and editing abilities; knowledge of AP writing style.
- Capable of incorporating feedback and direction.
- Attention to detail.
- Proven ability to build relationships and engage with people through online channels such as social media, email and web.
- Experience creating and maintaining online content in WordPress or other content management systems.
- Ability to interpret analytics and develop communications strategies based on those analytics.
- Ability to learn quickly, troubleshoot and come up with creative solutions to problems.
- Existing knowledge of HTML and CSS. Must at least know the basics and be willing to learn more as needed.
- Ability to work well with a team under the pressure of tight deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Canva and/or similar design programs and knowledge of graphic design, concept development, layout, typography, color and preparation of print and digital designs for a range of mediums and output formats is strongly preferred.
- Experience taking and editing good quality photos strongly preferred.
Competitive and commensurate with experience; generous benefits package available to all staff.
Please send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to email@example.com with subject line: “Communications Associate.” If candidate has design experience, please also include two-three design examples.