Position Responsibilities and Objectives
The Communications Director will help develop and have primary responsibility for implementing a communications strategy to support VPP + Raise DC’s strategic priorities and funding strategy – while pursuing additional opportunities to position VPP + Raise DC as a leader in its field and give greater exposure to VPP + Raise DC. This position will report to the Vice President of External Affairs and be responsible for all communications and collateral, including the website and social media, to consistently and effectively articulate VPP + Raise DC’s mission.
This position will develop an understanding of VPP + Raise DC’s mission, investment approach, and programmatic efforts and develop messaging and communication strategies that promote the mission to all stakeholder audiences. The successful candidate will remain informed of the status and outcomes of partnerships and investments to ensure integrating the latest information into messaging and communications and maintaining consistent voice and content across all internal and external communications.
- Develop and implement the annual communications plan in collaboration with the Vice President for External Affairs
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and website
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Oversee the organization’s media relations to raise the public profile of VPP + Raise DC
- Work with members of the team to prepare content/materials for external meetings and speaking engagements (i.e., research briefings, speeches, talking points, etc.).
- Work with staff to ensure a streamlined and open internal communications structure.
- Develop structures within the organization to ensure quality and consistency in all external communications products and materials.
- Plan and execute communications focused on fundraising and strengthening funder relationships.
VPP + Raise DC is seeking an accomplished Communications Director who has at least 8-10 years of communications experience including creating communications plans, media relations, website, and social media content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
Specific requirements include:
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Salary Competitive and commensurate with experience, starting at $100,000. Generous benefits package available to all staff.
To Apply Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Communications Director”. No calls, please.